A. How to Connect GS Scanners via Bluetooth
GS barcode scanners are used with data terminal such as mobile phone, tablet, etc. The communication is via Bluetooth (BT). To set up BT, you must turn on Bluetooth function first on your data terminal. The BT connection can be set in either SPP, HID or BLE protocol (for R5000 series). The choice of protocol is made by scanning setting barcodes with scanners. All information on setting barcodes for setting BT modes and setting format can be found in brochure which is enclosed in the package.
- HID: Human Interface Device Profile
- SPP: Serial Port Profile
- BLE: Bluetooth Low Engery
Instruction Manual for bluetooth pairing, pdf file, 5.64MB, download
HID Mode (Android OS, iOS, Windows)
- Reset barcode scanner to factory default setting if necessary (Default Factory Setting), set BT mode (Bluetooth Output Mode), set HID Mode (Bluetooth HID mode ) by stepwise scanning the barcodes shown in Fig.1. Once the HID mode is triggered, the blue light of GS scanner will blink, waiting for pairing.
- Switch on BT under setting panel of data terminal and search for available BT devices, wait until the name GS-BarcodeScanner BT4.0 shows up (Fig.2).
- Click the GS scanner from the list, wait for pairing. The pairing is made automatically. The blue light stops blinking when pairing is finished.
- If the pairing was set once, for the next time when the devices are powered on, the BT connection will be set automatically.
- Once the BT is set, barcodes can be scanned and read into any text field on data terminal.
SPP Mode (only available for Android OS)
- To demonstrate bluetooth at SPP mode, it is recommended to download and install the MData APP on data terminal.
- Reset scanner, set bluetooth output and bluetooth SPP mode by scanning the barcodes from top to bottom as shown in Fig.3.
- Start up MData on data terminal, set Input-Method to “MData” to go to the interface shown in Fig.4.
- Click “Connect Scanner” to go to next screen (Fig.5) . Click “Bluetooth Scanner”. In the next screen, make sure the BT is turned on and click button “Go Select”.
- If the scanner is still searching for pairing, the name of the scanner will be displayed on the list of BT devices. Select the scanner and enter the password “1234” in the prompted window. If the connection is successful, a button “Next Step” will be activated.
- In next screen, you can test scanner under SPP mode. Please note that the blue light in scanner will not blink if the BT is connected.
- MData.apk, 6.18Mb, download
The BLE mode of bluetooth is applicable for Android and iOS. It can be also demonstrated with the procedures similar to that of SPP mode (with MData.apk). Please note that only R5000 series scanners are compatible with BT4.0 and therefore can be used at BLE mode. The BLE for GS scanners can be also tested with Ekkes APP.
- Ekkes BTLE example, available from Google Play Store
B. Bluetooth Dongle
With bluetooth dongle (adaptor) D100BT it is possible to extend the working distance of bluetooth from 10m to 30m. It also makes data transfer faster and more stable.